Friday 4 December 2009

Shanghai Express




I've been in Shanghai, trying fruitlessly to get onto my blog (which appeared to be barred to me in China, and is now mysteriously bereft of comments; surely some mistake?), while writing about last night's Chanel fashion show and the launch of its huge boutique in the city. Shanghai is the most astonishing place -- the skyline of neon high-rises, a jumble of new buildings growing up from the traditional streets -- where the rumble of construction goes on day and night. In my blurred state of jet-lag, the city looked like a cross between Metropolis and Mad Max, Blade Runner and the Fifth Element. My head is still spinning, and I'm feeling weirdly dizzy, as if I've been on a boat (well, I was on a giant barge for the fashion show, but it was moored and unmoving). And I haven't even begun to tell you about the little red dresses.
More tomorrow, but until then, a link to the Paris-Shanghai express ...

1 comment:

kairu said...

I was in Shanghai in October and could not access Twitter, Blogger, or Facebook while I was there. It was a very strange feeling. Also strange was the juxtaposition of wealth and poverty, old and new, Europe and the far East.

You can see my photographs from the trip here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kairuy/sets/72157622596536942/ and also another set here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kairuy/sets/72157622625701528/