Wednesday 7 September 2011

Tillypronie tree stump


Autumn in London, and my late summer roses were blown down by yesterday's gales. Turned on the central heating this evening for the first time in ages; no open fires here in Crouch End, but there will be when next I go to Scotland.
Tomorrow I will cook sausages with onion gravy, baked potatoes and peas, and apple crumble made with the fruit from my generous next-door-neighbour's tree. Falling leaves are amassing in the pavement outside, and autumn is truly in the air, gusting through the beeches.

4 comments:

kairu said...

Here in Seattle, summer has finally arrived, with the sun shining and the temperature hovering near 80˚F. I've turned on the air-conditioning and am drinking a root-beer float. It feels very strange. I know I should soak up the sun before the darkness and the rain falls, because it will come all too soon...

enid said...

Here in Cape Town it was Spring on Monday summer on Tuesday and winter on Wednesday. Oh dear will it not make up its mind. I loved your photo but when I first saw it it looked like a flattened animal that had been run over !!!!!! I was pleased to see it was a leaf. Keep warm. What are you reading ?

Miss V said...

Made my first blackberry crumble today, caught my first heady winter cold and felt for the first time that I may need to don a coat. Autumn has reached Devon.

Justine Picardie said...

Very sorry to hear about the first cold of the season; keep eat the blackberry crumble!