Sunday 17 April 2011

Cherry blossom, flower-pot bread, and more good things from the farmer's market






The magnolia petals have almost gone, but there is more blossom unfurling in the front garden, on the cherry tree that reaches up to the sky. This weekend I've been weeding -- rooting out the bindweed before it chokes the roses -- although all the other self-seeded plants in my beds are allowed to stay (forget-me-nots, bluebells, and red valerian for the butterflies), as are the sprinkling of daisies and buttercups in the lawn.
No need to venture much further than the garden on a sunny Sunday, except to the Farmer's Market up the road at Alexandra Palace, where there were fiery red chilis, delicious Polish cakes and brownies (the best I've had for years; so good I've searched for the source online, and discovered them here, at the Cakehole Kitchen), and bread baked in flower-pots from the Honest Carrot stall. The farmer's market also yielded sausages, which I'm cooking for dinner with onion gravy, mashed potatoes, and plenty of peas. Heaven...

8 comments:

Unknown said...

A delicious sounding Sunday. I'm loving my self seeded forget-me-nots too.

kairu said...

What a heavenly-sounding Sunday! I had to come into work, but I did spend time this morning breakfasting with friends. The food was only just ok, but I got to catch up with friends and cuddle a darling baby who smiled and held on to my hand...

Those brownies look fabulous. They look like a combination of cheesecake and brownie...I'm going to have to try to make some on my own.

Justine Picardie said...

Belinda -- I like the look of your wild acre... And Kairu, good luck with the brownies. These were incredibly chocolate-y, and very moist, almost like a mousse, in the middle. Wish I had the recipe... All suggestions gratefully received!

Rose said...

the bread in carrot pots is so adorable!

Justine Picardie said...

Rose, thanks for the message. Have just been visiting your blog, which reveals all sorts of shared interests.

enid said...

Sausages, mashed potaoes and peas - the best threesome ever. Reminds me of childhood. Your Sunday sounds idyllic and those breads in the pots are so lovely. It is the first night of our Passover so no bread for me but I can peak at the pictures every now and then and assuage my longing

Justine Picardie said...

Sending you my good wishes to Cape Town...

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures, also the recipes are excellent, thanks for sharing it.

------------------------------
xlpharmacy