Thursday 22 September 2011

In the sky above California

I'm writing this on a flight from Boston to LA, feeling somewhat dizzy from the last few days. New York was amazing, as always. I met so many interesting people, talked endlessly about life and love, through the prism of Chanel, and then arrived briefly in Boston yesterday, where I spoke at the Boston Public Library. What a magnificent place it is; murals by John Singer Sergeant, and 19th century architecture at its most splendid. There I encountered an astonishingly chic 82 year old woman, who looked as alluring as Mademoiselle Chanel herself.
Not sleeping very much -- a combination of jet-lag and nervous energy and different hotel rooms -- but it all feels part of the journey of discovery that Gabrielle Chanel sent me on, many moons ago. Thus moonshine and darkness a necessary element of the voyage...

5 comments:

kairu said...

Ah, so at last we will be in the same time zone, on the same coast...

Hope you have a lovely time in L.A.

Syd said...

It was indeed a pleasure meeting you on at the Boston Public Library. Your account of Mme Chanel's apartment visit was magical. I had the great honor of seeing her apartment a couple of years ago and your words brought it back to life for me. I can't wait to read your book along side Karl's artwork. I hope to see you again!
Merci,
Sydney Frasca

enid said...

Lucky Bostoners to have heard you talk - somethin I still hope to have the pleasure of one day. Oh that Chanel came to Cape Town !!! Enjoy L.A. It is such fun travelling with you

Justine Picardie said...

Kairu -- am just about adjusting to same time zone as you, which makes me feel closer...
Syd: thanks for coming on Wednesday, and it was a delight to be with you and everyone else that evening. Hope you enjoy the book!
Enid: longing to come to Cape Town! If only there were a literary festival that would invite me!

jaywalker said...

Those libraries and museums in Boston are amazing. I have only been briefly and would love to go again. Next year we are booked on a cruise from Dover to Los Angeles so will see that city for the first time and will be interested to hear your impressions.

The new Wallis book, That Woman, arrived a few days ago and I have read the first couple of chapters. hadn't read much about her childhood before and finding it very interesting. When you put together all the bits that made her, it's hardly surprising she turned out as she did. However, not sure what to think about the suggestion that she had DSD - Disorder of Sexual Development.